Dear Family and Friends,
Thank you voters and supporters for my successful re-election this November 2016 as your Berkeley School Board Director. While this presidential election is by far the most contenious and upsetting to all of us, I remain united and committed to our diversity that makes our local communities, state and nation the land of the free, brave and a united America. In my elected position I will consistently be a strong advocate and represent voters that embrace our divesity and welcome all ethnicities, all genders and diverse families/students in our schools and communities.
Over these years that I have served as your board member I have learned a tremendous amount about Berkeley schools, adult education, board governance, advocacy and the responsibility a school board director has to the education of ALL of our students. As a Board of Director I will be remain active in all board matters and I will particularly focus my 3rd term on the following:
- Amplifying a district-wide positive message and expectation of equity and excellence for ALL our students.
- Supporting alternatives to suspensions and expulsions with programs like Restorative Justice, early identification of students who are struggling academically and socially; and providing appropriate and culturally responsive intervention.
- Providing quality early child development programs to young children that promote play, school readiness, and parent engagement opportunities, and afterschool enrichment programs.
- Focusing on two-way communication with our schools with our parent liaisons that are ready and prepared to support parents and their children.
- Supporting professional learning communities for our teachers; and training and career pathways for our classified staff.
- Supporting the implementation of our Safety Plans to include parent education in emergency preparedness.
- Increasing attendance and reducing truancy of our students with more students in school engaged and learning.
- Focused on developing pathways to bilingual/multilingualism while also strengthening Ethnic Studies.
With your support I will continue to improve our schools and expand on student achievement and making wider strides to reducing the achievement gap.
As your School Board Director I will be focused on:
- Improving student academic achievement in line with the 2020 Vision and District Goals through the Local Control Accountability Plan;
- Promoting more rigorous classroom instruction and continuous improvement to instructional strategies to support ALL students academic performance,
- Increasing communications between all partners supporting our schools;
- Supporting our educators while simultaneously recruiting additional qualified and diverse teachers;
- Providing teachers and classified personnel with professional development opportunities that address school and district wide priorities; and,
- Continuing to welcome and increase diverse parent engagement and involvement on all school sites.
I look forward to your support and welcome these next four years and the continued opportunity to serve the students and families of Berkeley Unified as your school board member. Thank you to the many individuals and PAC's that donated to my campaign ~ your contributions sincerely help our win and I remain appreciative of your support and look forward to personally thanking you.
Berkeley School Board Director, 2016 - 2020
My office hours are the 2nd Thursday of each month at Casa Latina from 4:30-6PM
call or email me should you like to schedule a time to meet.